[AOR #13 (series 1/vol X 1/2 pg.694-95)] 

          No. 273. -- Report of Maj. John Jr. Garnett, Chief of Artillery, 
          of the actions at Garnett's and Golding's Farms, engagement 
          at Fair Oaks Station (Peach Orchard, or Allen's Farm), and 
          battles of Savage Station and Malvern Hill.

                               CAMP NEAR RICHMOND, VA., 
                                   July 23, 1862.

          GENERAL: I have the honor to make the following report of the action of 
      the artillery attached to your division in the engagements of June 27, 28, 
      and 29, and July 1.
          There were attached Captains Moody and Woolfolk to General Toombs' brigade, 
      and Captains Brown and Hart to Colonel Anderson's.
         On Friday, June 27. Captain Brown, with two 12-pounder howitzers, was 
      ordered to a position on the crest of a hill near Mr. James Garnett's house, 
      to try the strength of the enemy near Golding's house. At 10 o'clock these 
      two pieces opened and drove the enemy from earthworks he was about throwing 
      up some 500 yards in front. No sooner had Captain Brown opened than the enemy 
      replied from several batteries of long-range guns. The two 6-pounder guns of 
      Captain Brown's battery and the six-gun battery of Captain Lane, then temporarily 
      under my command, were ordered to the front. This addition gave me nine guns 
      (one of the howitzers of Captain Brown having been disabled by the wedging of 
      a shell in the bore), replying to a much greater number of superior guns along 
      the enemy's front. After testing fully the enemy's strength, so far as his 
      artillery was concerned, Lieutenant-Colonel Lee, chief of artillery of General 
      Magruder's corps, concluding that the contest was too unequal to be longer 
      continued, ordered the batteries to retire.

        In this action Captain Brown lost Corpl. Charles W. Lucas killed, Sergt. 
      G. W. Beard, Privates G. T. Tinder and Benjamin Lucas wounded, and 2 horses
      so severely wounded that he was compelled to leave them on the field. Captain 
      Lane's battery distinguished itself for the accuracy of its fire and the 
      coolness and courage of the officers and men. His report was made to 
      Lieutenant-Colonel Lee.

        On the 28th Captain Brown was ordered to take the same position occupied 
      on the 27th. Captain Moody's battery was ordered to his support. Captain 
      Brown was the first to fire, to whom the enemy did not reply. Soon after, 
      however, when Captain Moody opened, he was replied to by an enfilading battery, 
      unmasked on the right during the previous night, and about two batteries in 
      front. This engagement lasted about two hours, when the batteries were ordered 
      to retire. Captain Brown was again unfortunate in the loss of his gallant 
      second lieutenant (Kerns), who fell nobly doing his duty. Private J. W. Clarke 
      was slightly wounded and 1 horse was killed. Captain Moody's loss consisted 
      of the wounding of Lieut. Daniel O. Merwin (right arm shattered) and Private 
      Kennedy (wounded in both feet) and 1 horse killed and 3 badly wounded.
        On Sunday, 29th, after passing the enemy's intrenchments about three-quarters 
      of a mile, Captain Hart's battery of six guns was placed in position to shell 
      the woods in advance of the line of skirmishers of Colonel Anderson's brigade. 
      The enemy opened a very brisk fire in reply, when I placed Captain Moody's battery 
      in position to the left of the one occupied by Captain Hart, and opened fire 
      upon the enemy through an opening in the woods, where their battery was supposed 
      to be in position. This skirmish was of very short duration.
      Captain Moody had 1 private wounded and 1 horse killed and several wounded.
      Later in the afternoon of the same day Captains Brown and Hart proceeded to 
      positions near the railroad, where Captain Hart placed his two Blakely guns 
      in position, and did handsome service until the enemy opened a plunging fire 
      upon him from superior guns and superior positions, when he deemed it prudent 
      to retire.
         In the two engagements of this day Captain Hart lost killed, Private Henry 
      F. Cohen; mortally wounded, Daniel M. Shepherd and Charles Schroter; severely 
      wounded, Lieut. J. Cleveland, Private Porter, and 7 horses killed or rendered
         On Monday the batteries moved with the division, and on Tuesday none were 
      engaged,.if I except Captain Hart, who was able to fire but a few rounds.
      Captain Woolfolk was relieved from duty with General Toombs' brigade on Monday, 
      June 30, and was engaged only on Friday, 27th, when he behaved very handsomely 
      and his battery did excellent service.
        In concluding this report I cannot commend too highly the conduct of the officers 
      and men, who, when under the terrible fire of the enemy's batteries at Garnett's 
      farm and at the railroad, showed that calmness and intrepidity characteristic of 
      men who won for themselves the hearty "well-done" of their commanders at Manassas 
      Plains. I allude particularly to Captain Brown, of the Wise Artillery. Captain Hart 
      is also entitled to the highest praise, and showed himself to be an accomplished
      artillerist as well as a gallant soldier.
                                       I an sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
                                                                          JOHN J. GARNETT, 
                            Major and Chief of Arty., First Division, Army of the Potomac.(?)
     General D. R. JONES, 
     [C. S. Army, commanding First vision, of operations June 27-July 1, including the 
     battle of Gaines' Mill, actions at Garnett's and Golding's Farms, engagement at 
     Fair Oaks Station (Peach Orchard, or Allen's Farm), and battles of Savage Station 
     and Malvern Hill.]

     J. Garnett's house lies east of New Bridge Road, (also known as 9 Mile Road-map 
     Plate 97-2..The Official Military Atlas of the civil war), almost a mile south of
     the Chickahominy River, approx. 4 1/2 miles from Richmond, as the crow flies.